News News VNSL

April 18, 2023 by Samuel Lane

Storm fight back to defeat Sirens

irens led 35-29 at the break after a pulsating first two quarters, but Storm fought back to take the third quarter 18-9 before edging out a narrow victory.

Both teams started strong, with the opening minutes going goal for goal, this game was set to go down to the wire.

Abi Robson showed great control early, linking well from defence to attack and Sirens got the first break of the game going ahead by a single goal.

Beth Dix showed off her feeding skills with some excellent passes into both of her shooters. Storm, refusing to give up, demonstrated great patience in and around the circle with their target shooter Peace Proscovia holding strong under the post.

Down the other end, Siren’s shooter Bethan Goodwin showed confidence early, sinking shots from all over the circle. The first 15 minutes came to an end, and it was Sirens who were ahead by two, 20-18.

The second quarter kickstarted with an error from Sirens which storm were quick to capitalise on. The Sirens attackers were quick with the ball, keeping the momentum going until an option opened up in the circle.

Towera Vinkhumbo was working hard in defence and with pinpoint timing, she came away with an intercept which was rewarded by Niamh McCall down the other end.

A fiery matchup between Vinkhumbo and Peace was a real standout of the game with both players putting in a shift. Storm made several changes across the court, but Sirens looked determined as ever to push ahead.

As the first half came to a close, Sirens managed to increase their lead heading into the halftime break, 35-29.

Storm came out of halftime firing, converting four in a row before Sirens hit back, breaking their oppositions centre pass which was converted by Goodwin who was putting in a consistent performance.

Captain Dix showed great leadership, commanding the ball from her teammates but Storm closed in as they came within one and with their centre pass to follow the scores were level.

Dix and McCall worked effortlessly together alongside Robson and Goodwin they put in a dominant performance.

Storm were slowly building throughout the third quarter and Sirens sensed the momentum shift as they introduced Kelly Boyle to the court at centre.

Some unforced efforts from Sirens allowed Storm to creep ahead and as the whistle went for quarter time, Storm found themselves ahead by three, 47-44.

The last 15 minutes were underway, and Sirens brought Robson back on at wing defence, Claire Maxwell into centre and Boyle into wing attack.

Vinkhumbo created some chances, but Sirens were unable to bring the ball down the court against a strong Storm side.

Boyle showed great agility and creativity in the attacking third as she provided her shooters with opportunity to convert.

An offensive contact call against Sirens gave Storm a run as they were now ahead by six. The battle between Vinkhumbo and Peace continued throughout the full 60 minutes and as Sirens started to pull it back, they were beaten by the clock as Storm took the win, 65-61.

Match Report provided by Strathclyde Sirens

Connect with us

Designed by Four Pin Plug